Up to this point, you may think that buying and selling stuff won’t be so easy in the digital age. After all, it’s not that easy to set up a stall at a flea market or open up an online store to sell your wares. It’s even harder to find customers who are willing to buy what you sell.
But with the advent of social media, things have gotten much easier. Sites like Facebook and Instagram have become great platforms for selling goods, especially secondhand items.
With some 257 million monthly active users as of June 2017, Facebook is still the go-to platform for many people – friends and family included – who wish to stay connected with one another from all corners of the world. If you’re planning to start an online business by listing your products on Facebook Marketplace, here is everything you need to know about how to sell or buy stuff on Marketplace:
As the world goes digital, e-commerce is becoming the need of the hour. Selling stuff online has become a great way to get exposure and make some extra bucks at the same time. But there are different ways to sell stuff online. Some might prefer creating an e-commerce website while others will opt for an online market place.
There are pros and cons to both these options and it largely depends on personal preference and ease of use. Either way, you need to know how to sell things on Facebook marketplace effectively before you begin. Here’s everything you need to know about selling on Facebook marketplace:
What is Facebook Marketplace?
Facebook marketplace is a built-in platform for selling and buying stuff on Facebook. You can use the Facebook marketplace to sell stuff. Be it books, electronics, clothes, furniture, toys, collectibles, jewellery or any other item; you can sell them on Facebook marketplace. It is a great way to make some additional money.
There are millions of people using this marketplace and you have a great opportunity to sell your items and make some extra bucks.
How to Sell on Facebook Marketplace?
After logging into your Facebook account, head over to the Marketplace section. The marketplace will show you different categories like jewellery, electronics, home and garden, sports, kids and toys, books, fashion and health & beauty.
Select the category that best suits the item you want to sell. Once you have selected the category, you will be taken to a page where you will find other items listed for sale. This is the main Marketplace page. If you have a specific item in mind, you can also search for it.
To do this, click on the magnifying glass icon on the top right of your screen. Here you will find different filters to help you locate your item. Make sure you enter the correct title and as much information as possible so that potential buyers can find your item.
Once you have added the item details, you can post them either by taking a picture of the product or uploading it from your computer. You can also set the price of your product.
Here are the steps you need to follow to sale on facebook marketplace:
- From your Feed, click Marketplace in the left menu.
- Click Create new listing, then click Item for sale.
- Click Add photos to upload a photo of your item from your computer.
- Enter the info about your item. To mark an item as Free, you can enter 0 as the price.
- Click Next. If Next is grayed out, make sure you’ve entered the information that’s required.
- Click Publish to post your Marketplace listing.
Where to Find Potential Buyers on FB Marketplace?
While selling stuff online is a great way to make extra money, it is also a fact that it can be an occasional source of income. You may not be able to rely on it as a primary source of income. This is mainly because you may not be able to find the right audience for your items.
The best way to find potential buyers on FB marketplace is by creating a target audience for yourself. You can do this by adding certain parameters to your account.
You can also join groups in your city or find local Facebook groups. Once you have found potential buyers, it is time to initiate the conversation and make sure they are interested in your product. You can do this by asking them a question and trying to initiate a conversation with them.
Mistakes to Avoid When Selling on FB Marketplace
There are many ways to sell items on Facebook marketplace. However, you must avoid certain mistakes to make sure you don’t waste your time. Here are a few things you should avoid while selling stuff on Facebook marketplace.
- Make sure your item is as clear as possible: If you are selling clothes online, you must make sure to include the size of the clothes you are selling. The same goes for any other item, make sure you mention everything about your product. If the item you are selling is second hand, mention that clearly.
- Be careful about the price: This is one of the most important mistakes to avoid. Don’t price your item too high or too low. You must take into account the demand of the product and its current value in the market.
- Communicate with your buyer: Make sure you communicate with your buyer. This will help you avoid misunderstandings and you can also get feedback from your buyers.
- Don’t rush to sell your product: If you are selling a product and you have mentioned a time frame to when the product will be sold, don’t rush to sell it. You can get the best price if you wait for the right buyer.
Benefits of selling stuff on Facebook marketplace
There are several advantages to selling on Facebook marketplace, including the following.
- You don’t need a website: Facebook marketplace is a great way to sell your old stuff. This is a great way to declutter your house and make some extra money at the same time.
- You can sell anything: There are a wide range of categories in the marketplace, so you can sell anything. You can sell your old clothes, books, gadgets, furniture, toys, collectibles, and other stuff.
- You don’t need to invest in an online store: It is not necessary that you have to invest in an online store to sell your items online. You can use Facebook marketplace to sell your items and make some extra money.
- You can sell items for free: You can sell items for free if you don’t want to charge a fee. You can also decide when and where to sell the items.
What items can you sell on Facebook marketplace?
Although you can sell anything on Facebook marketplace, some items sell better than others. Here are a few items that you can sell on Facebook marketplace:
- Books: Books have always been in demand, and you can make some decent money if you choose to sell them on Facebook marketplace.
- Clothes: If you are looking to declutter your wardrobe, you can sell your old clothes on Facebook marketplace.
- Jewellery: If you have some unused and valuable jewellery lying around in your house, you can sell it for a good price on Facebook marketplace.
- Electronics: If you are looking to sell your old electronics, you can sell them on Facebook marketplace.
Tips to increase your chances of selling on FB marketplace
If you want to make sure that you sell your items successfully on Facebook marketplace, here are a few tips that you can follow.
- Make sure your product is as clear as possible: Make sure you mention everything about your product. If your product is new or second hand, mention that. If there are any defects in your product, mention them as well.
- Choose the right category for your product: If you want to sell your product, select the right category for it. You can find a category that best suits your product.
- Offer free shipping: If you want to make sure that you sell your product, you can offer free shipping. This will help you get more sales.
Is selling on Facebook marketplace worth it?
Yes, selling on Facebook marketplace is definitely worth it. You can make some decent money by selling your old stuff. You can also make money by selling your unused stuff. If you are looking for a way to make some extra money, selling on Facebook marketplace is one of the best ways to do so.
How to Buy on Facebook Marketplace?
If you want to buy stuff on Facebook marketplace, you have to do a few things. Here are a few things you should keep in mind while buying stuff on Facebook marketplace.
- Make sure you read the description of the product carefully: This is the first thing that you must do. You must make sure that you read the description thoroughly, especially if it is a used product.
- Ask questions: If you are unsure about the product, make sure you ask the seller questions. This way, you will get all the information you need about the product.
- Find a reliable seller: If you want to make sure that you get the best deal, you must find a reliable seller. You can check their reviews on Facebook and look for sellers with a good reputation.
Things to know before selling on FB marketplace
Here are a few things you must know before selling your stuff on Facebook marketplace.
- Be patient: Selling your stuff online can take some time. If a product is new and the demand is high, it can be sold in a few hours or days.
- Make sure your product is genuine: If you are selling a used product, make sure it is genuine. You can ask the buyer to check the product before making the payment.
- Make sure you list the item correctly: If you want to sell your product successfully, you must list it correctly.
- Negotiate the price: If you to sale on facebook marketplace, it is important to add the price of your items before you post online.