I really enjoyed Gretchen Rubin’s post on LinkedIn where she challenged readers to quiz themselves as to whether they make others happy. For me, it validated why being a happy person and, subsequently, drawing others in with your positive attitude is one of the reasons “happiness magnets” get the best jobs.
A simple review of her quiz points out 10 reasons being a happiness magnet will help you in your job search:
10 Reasons Why Being Happy Gets You More Job Opportunities
- People seem to feel comfortable confiding in you.
- People follow your recommendations.
- You’re a source of material comfort or security for someone else.
- People whom you’ve introduced often go on to have a continuing relationship.
- People seem to drift toward you, join a conversation that you’re having, and sit down next to you at a meeting.
- You’ve recently been involved in the improvement or growth of an organization, group, or process that involves many other people.
- You are providing opportunities for other people—job leads, blind dates, contacts in a new city, and so on.
- People whom you hardly remember go out of their way to greet you warmly (i.e. the friend of your old roommate, or a former co-worker).
- Many people seem to want to connect with you—by making plans or by emailing, calling, or texting.
- People seem energized by you (i.e. they smile and laugh in your presence).
Happiness Magnet = More Helpful Network
Happy people have a magnetic effect on those around them. The more people drawn in and energized by your happiness, the more likely they are to return the favor. In short, happy people are more likely to be recommended for jobs and introduced to influential people. Also, their ability to make others happy is rewarded in the form of a more helpful network. Ever heard of the “hidden job market?” Well, happiness magnets are the ones who get access to it.
How are you acting like a “happiness magnet” today? What suggestions do you have for others looking to do a better job of making their network happy?
If you want to spread happiness and grow your professional network, sign up for a Work It Daily membership!
Here’s a closer look at what we offer:
- 15+ course library
- Resume templates
- Cover letter templates
- LinkedIn profile optimization course
- Attend live events for free
- Access to our one-of-a-kind community
- 1-on-1 private message career coaching
- Unlimited resume, cover letter & LinkedIn reviews
- 30 min. coaching call per month
Interested? Sign up for a 3-day FREE trial today!
This article was originally published at an earlier date.